2002, Number 18
Published September 2004
©2004 by The Wedgwood Society of New York, ISSN 1043-3317
On the cover:
A Wedgwood blue and white jasper lamp case and cover, marked WEDGWOOD, c. 1787.
Josiah Wedgwood's factory first produced this shape in April 1786
to serve as a base for the newly invented Argand lamp.
The air necessary to feed the flame flows through the six openings between
the feet and then through a characteristic hole in the underside of the base.
In a dimly lit room, the feliefs of Blind Man's Bluff would have
been illuminated by a most dramatic raking light. Wedgwood's trade catalog
of 1787 observes that the brilliant light of the Argand's lamp "being
thrown upon the bas-reliefs, has a singular and beautiful effect."
Trustees of the National Museums Liverpool (Lady Level Art Gallery)
Additional copies of Ars Ceramica may be ordered at a cost of $20.00 plus $7.50 postage (US) or $20.00 postage (Foreign) by addressing
The Wedgwood Society of New York
2556 NW 64th Blvd
Boca Raton, Florida 33496-2011
(Special rates for members and for quantity orders.)