2018, Number 34
Published September 2022
©2022 by The Wedgwood Society of New York, ISSN 1043-3317
On the cover: Meissen model of a cannon, c. 1741, originally modeled 1728-29 by Johann Christoff Ludwig Lücke, no marks, 3⅜" h x 6¾" l x 5" w (8.59 cm x 17.15 cm x 12.70 cm). The cannon, with barrel in hard-paste porcelain and carriage and wheels in wood and brass, is one of a pair donated to the Wadsworth Atheneum by J. Pierpont Morgan in 1917. The coat of arms on the barrel is that of the Brühl – Kolowrat – Krakowsky alliance, suggesting that although developed previously, the cannon may have been later integrated into Count von Brühl’s Swan Service of 1738-39. Johann Christoff Ludwig Lücke (1703-1780) was an engaging and sometimes provocative peripatetic artist working in ivory and various other media; in ceramics, he worked with terracotta, faience and porcelain, and was employed at the Meissen, Vienna and Höchst porcelain factories. Vanessa Sigalas assesses his work in porcelain in an article commencing on page 14. Photograph by courtesy of the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art.
The Wedgwood Society of New York
2556 NW 64th Blvd
Boca Raton, Florida 33496-2011